Open Heart Kitchen provides fresh, hot meals to anyone in need in Dublin, Pleasanton and Livermore. They also provide weekend boxed lunches to school aged children who would otherwise not have reliable food over the weekend. In addition, they provide a community where all are welcome and many form friendships and find much needed support. Blue Oaks will support all functions of Open Heart Kitchen. The Blue Oaks Partnership helps ensure people who are often homeless and hungry have access to hot meals and reliable food for their kids. Volunteers will have the opportunity to serve meals to homeless and to pack and serve boxed lunches.
Lonely Mom Finds Community at Open Heart Kitchen
Rosemary, 31, is a single mother of three. Six years ago she went through a bitter divorce. Though she was working she did not have enough to pay rent and found herself living in her car. Her two oldest children were taken away from her and her youngest was placed in foster care.
With no home and nowhere to go for support Rosemary became very lonely. Nobody could relate to her situation. When she discovered Open Heart Kitchen, she found not only fresh, hot cooked meals, but other people who could understand her situation. She also found friendly volunteers who gave her encouragement and love.
- In 2013 Open Heart Kitchen served more than 281,000 meals to those in need.
- Volunteers serve more than 750 meals each weekday.
- This program is the only hot meal program of its kind in the Tri-Valley.
- Prep box lunches to get underserved students through the weekend
- Distribute box lunches at a school or library
- Prep lunch or dinner for seniors
- Help with fundraising
- Help with a food or supply drive
- Pick up in-kind donations
- Greet and serve seniors